The Food Safety and Defense online graduate certificate program serves the needs of industry and agencies that must protect the human food supply from accidental or deliberate contamination with pathogenic microbes and/or toxicants. In an era of terrorism and global food systems, effective control of foodborne hazards requires advanced education.
This online certificate allows food industry personnel to pursue more in-depth specialized training in food safety and security that is pertinent to their job, while working full-time.
The Food Safety & Defense Graduate Certificate Program is an inter-institutional certificate program being offered as part of the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA / AGIDEA), in cooperation with Kansas State University, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the University of Missouri. These universities have established a multi-state agricultural consortium to develop and deliver high-priority collaborative distance education programs in the food and agricultural sciences.
Program at a Glance
- Synthesize a current and multi-faceted picture of key food safety and security issues.
- Apply the scientific principles of microbial and chemical risk assessment and analysis to real world food safety and security issues.
- Analyze and apply the concepts of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) programs, as well as other safety and security approaches, to the management of food safety and security in food systems.
- Evaluate food safety and security issues in the food industry using the perspectives of sound science, critical thinking, and ethical reasoning.
- Includes a minimum of 12 credits