Crop marketing is a non-credit professional certificate offered by Iowa State University that provides a learning opportunity for those who manage farm operations.
What was once exclusively a face-to-face workshop is now available for you to learn your own pace, available from anywhere in the world. We all rely on crop specialists, and this course uses active learning tools to give you that expertise courtesy of leaders in the industry from the Iowa Farm Bureau and Iowa State University Extension.
In this course, you will explore the topics of price movements, contracts, basis movements, option values, and creating a successful marketing plan. The class consists of video presentations, learning activities and educational quizzes. A special emphasis is given to comprehensive planning and risk management.
This course is self-paced, with students completing the content in 4 weeks on average after registration. The course opens on November 10, 2020. You can progress through the course as fast or slow as you want, provided you complete the course content prior to March 15, 2021.
About the Instructors
Farmer Education Program Manager
Iowa Farm Bureau Federation
- Thirty-seven year career in designing risk management education and information for Iowa farmers, including almost 30 years with Iowa Farm Bureau delivering educational programs.
- Timely education delivered through creative methods, including in-person meetings and workshops, web delivery, print, and more.
- Manages special projects designed to help farmers learn and be heard on agricultural issues at the state and national level.
Retired ISU Extension Farm Management Specialist
- Twenty-five years as a university Extension specialist presenting on a variety of crop market-related topics.
- Presents annually at nearly 80 meetings with over 8,000 in attendance.
- Maintains 3 active Ag Marketing Clubs and a Women Marketing Grain Series during the winter months with nearly 300 participants.
Associate Professor of Economics and Extension Economist
Iowa State University
- Crop market specialist for ISU Extension for 10 years.
- Speaks to roughly 100 groups throughout the upper Midwest each year about ag markets and the factors that shape them.
- Served as U.S. Policy and Insurance Analyst with the Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute.